What is Community Relief Grant Program?
- Community Relief Grant Program is an emergency initiative organized by The PATH Fund to distribute grants to artists facing financial hardships due to COVID-19.
How long will you run this program?
- Our hope is the fund will operate through the end of the year while Broadway remains dark. Due to the magnitude of this crisis, we anticipate more requests for funding than there are funds to distribute.
Who is eligible to apply?
- Practicing artists living in all 50 states, Tribal Nations, and territories including American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands are able to apply. Applicants must be 21 or older, able to receive taxable income in the United States regardless of their citizenship status, and have generally lived and worked in the United States for the last two years
To be eligible, you must be able to answer ”Yes“ to the prompts listed below. Please note that the Community Relief Special Grant Committee will make final eligibility determinations as needed.
- I am a practicing artist able to demonstrate a sustained commitment to my work, career, and a public audience;
- I am experiencing dire financial emergencies due to the COVID-19 pandemic;
- I have been living and working in the U.S. for the last two years;
- Did I make less than $150,000 in 2019 and will I make less than 50% that in 2020?
How do you define ”dire financial emergencies“?
- Due to the unprecedented nature of the COVID-19 pandemic, we define ”dire financial emergencies“ as the lack or imminent endangerment of essentials such as housing, medicine, childcare, and food. We are aware that each artist’s needs differ, so ask that you thoroughly and accurately describe your situation. Applicants should demonstrate a pressing and critical need for emergency support.
Am I eligible if I have already received funds from another relief effort?
- Yes, you are eligible. We do not disqualify anyone based on other sources of relief.
Application & Selection
Before I apply, am I guaranteed to receive funds?
- Unfortunately, due to limited funds and volume of applications, not every applicant will be funded.
How can I apply?
- If eligible, you can apply here, via the links included.
How will applications be selected for funding?
- Because of the anticipated volume of applications and limited funds—and toward funding equity among artists of different disciplines, geographic locations, and backgrounds—applications will be reviewed on a week-by-week basis by Community Relief Special Grant Committee. After review, qualifying applications will be selected via a lottery process for funding each week. Artists who do not receive funding are invited to re-apply each month.
Will the application be open continuously for the duration of the fund?
- Yes. while all dates are subject to change, the application will be open in cycles:
- Cycle 1: Aug 1 – 21 (closes 5:00pm ET). Amount: $2,500.
- Cycle II: Aug 22 – Sept 18 (closes 5:00pm ET). Amount: $2,500.
How will I be notified of the status of my application?
- A message will be sent to the email address associated with this account. Due to the high volume of inquiries, we cannot respond to emails regarding the status of your application.
When will I know if I have received a grant?
- Grants are distributed last Friday of the month. If you are selected for funding, we will follow up with the information required to disburse the grant.
If I am not selected for a grant, will I still be notified?
- No, Community Relief Grant Program is ongoing and your application will remain active.
Can I apply on behalf of someone else with their consent?
- Yes. We are aware that many individuals whose need is greatest may not have regular internet or computer access. If you wish to submit an application on behalf of another person with their consent, you will need to create a Submittable account for them and be sure to fill out the rest of the application with their information. If you are filling out the application for more than one person, you will need to create a unique Submittable account each time.
Why are you collecting demographic data from applicants? Who has access to this data?
What security measures are in place for the information I’m providing in this application?
- Standard security certificates and features for data collection and storage.
If I’m awarded a grant, will my name be made public?
- No. Personal information will never be disclosed or publicized.
What is the timeline for fund distribution?
- Funds will be distributed within 30 days of an approved application. We encourage artists to apply as soon as possible.
If I receive a grant, will there be reporting requirements?
- No grant reporting will be necessary.
What will you require to issue my grant?
- A W9 and Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) are required by the IRS in order to distribute grants to artists. We will collect this information after you’ve been notified of your selection.
Is the grant taxable?
- All recipients will be asked for their Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) for internal processing purposes, but 1099s will not be issued for this COVID-19-related grant. However, we cannot advise on individual tax matters. Please consult your personal financial manager or tax accountant.
Who administers the fund?
- The PATH Fund has established a Community Relief Special Grant Committee to oversee the applications and distribution of the grants. Payments will be sent via The PATH Fund.
What can I use the funding for?
- This fund is intended to help artists experiencing dire financial emergencies due to the COVID-19 pandemic. So, all grants are unrestricted and can be used for any kind of emergency relief. You do not need to reveal how you spend the money.
Am I able to get this grant more than once?
- No. Due to the magnitude of this crisis, we expect more requests for funding than available funds. Therefore, we are only providing one-time relief to as many artists as possible.
Can I support Community Relief Grant Program? If so, are donations tax-deductible?
- Yes, you can support the fund with a monetary donation here. All donations are fully tax-deductible to the full extent of the law.
Will all of the money donated go to artists?
- Yes. Other than a the credit card processing fee we are charged, 100% of all online donations will go directly to supporting artists facing dire financial circumstances due to COVID-19 through our $5,000 grants.
Can I designate my donation to a specific discipline or geography?
- Online donations made through this website are unrestricted.